Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Subject Delta–Part 2–Begin the Creepy Bit

To quote another costume/replica maker, and an idol, Harrison Krix:
”The Little Sisters from Bioshock are among the creepiest characters I've ever seen in a videogame.”  I couldn’t have said it better.

little%20sister[1]

3272169385_0e9ceb8ec7[1]

A lot of the Big Daddy costumes I’ve seen have used other people as the Little Sister.  I thought about volunteering Melinda for this, but to be honest, I don’t think she could ever be creepy enough.  Plus it throws the whole scale off.  I need a Little Sister that is creepy and the right scale.  I thought about borrowing a niece or god-daughter or maybe a friends kid, but the idea of carrying them around on my back all day really didn’t appeal to me.  Plus, it is my understanding that you have to feed real children and they get really whiney when they get tired and it all just sounded like too much trouble.  The requirements then became that she had to be:
- lightweight
- able to stay up late
- not need food
- articulated
- glowing eyes
- creepy (some will come from the audio from the earlier post)
To get this, I was going to have to make something.  Off to the basement again.  This is where this is going to get strange, even for me, I went to the basement to make a creepy little girl.  *sigh*

I thought about just trying to use some sort of a large doll.  The only issues there were:
- every doll I’ve ever seen looks like a doll.  No matter what, it always looks like a doll.
- every doll I’ve ever seen creeps me out beyond belief.

To get the requirements, I started with the skeleton.  Simple half inch PCV pipe.  I cut the joints to provide room for movement and secured them with screws.  I jointed the knees, hips, shoulders, and elbows.  What I got was a really cool PVC skeleton that I will then skin with Styrofoam and carve into shape.  I’ll make her head out of the green foam used in flower arrangements.  It’s light and can be easily carved.  Then it will just be running some wires and LEDs for the eyes.  I’m hoping it turns out well and gives me the creepy factor I’m going for.  So far, it has been giving us a lot of laughs just in the whole irony of the situation.

11 - Skeleton Done12 - Skeleton Moves

Knee Joint
13 - Knee Joint
Elbow Joint
14 - Elbow Joint

No comments:

Post a Comment