Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Subject Delta–Part 1

On the subject of costuming, I have already gotten too many ideas to work with. I want to do a v2 of my Destro mask, Subject Sigma, and now Fable 3’s King of Albion. Oh, and if Melinda decides on a costume, I’ll be making it too. Having projects running parallel like this is nice in that when I get stuck, I can switch gears to another project until I come up with a solution. It’s November right now, and I have already gotten a start on my Subject Sigma costume.

I got my new work area set up thanks to a weekend with a giant dumpster and chucking years of crap out of the basement. First thing was Subject Sigma. I actually have the Subject Delta action figure and since Delta and Sigma are from the same series of Big Daddies, I have a scale model to work off of. First thing I thought to create would be the tanks on the back. There are 4 distinct tanks, two for the re-breather, 1 for health, and one for eve.

2a -Goal - Detail

I’m trying to keep this as proportionally accurate as I can, so I am treating the action figure as though it were to scale for my height, 6 feet. Once I’ve established that, I did measurements of the tanks to come up with their sizes. Lots of tracing on paper really. I came up with the largest tank being 6 inches in diameter by 18 inches long. The smaller tank is 4 inches in diameter by 18 inches long. The angle they are mounted at makes them look different lengths, but they are actually the same. The two smaller tanks were harder to do since they needed to be clear, sealed, and later filled with red and blue liquid. So I was limited to what I could find in their diameter, but was able to get the 12 inch length set.

One trip to Lowes later and I had my supplies.

1 -Various Plumbing

I didn’t seal the two big tanks with PVC glue, simply because I knew I would need to get back into them later for other developments. Each of the large tanks also had rivet points on them. One wooden dowel rod cut into rivet size and glued on should make the desired effect.

3a - Final Group Detail

4 - Life and Adam5 - Large Rebreather6 - Small Rebreather

All in all, I am really pleased with the way the tanks have turned out. Next step will be building my Little Sister and working the audio portion of the costume.

2 comments:

  1. Can you tell me what you used for the tanks, like the tubes? Sorry, I really want to try this and I have no clue what to get. x.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two main tanks are a 6 and 4 inch PVC pipe from the hardware store. The clear tubes came from the hardware store too. They started life as one long tube used to store florescent lights. You can find these in the lighting section and they come in various lengths. After that it was just finding the fittings, and none fit just right. So it was find close enough fittings, and then use a lot of silicone to seal everything up.
    Basically what I ultimately did was just walk around the hardware store with my sketchbook looking for anything that would or could work.
    Good luck with your build. I'd love to see progress of how you build yours, and thanks for reading the blog and asking questions. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete