Friday, August 20, 2010

The Mask

The mask...the mask...that #*%*&#() mask. What in the world was I thinking about trying to make a full head mask by myself. I've never done anything like this before. This is totally new territory.

I thought about casting one in latex. Make a plaster mold of my head then poor a latex mask from that. Couple of problems. This is expensive. This is dangerous. And latex ALWAYS looks like latex. A rubber mask is a rubber mask. This is supposed to be made of metal not rubber. So that is out.

I thought about making one out of aluminum. I did cast aluminum in college so I have some experience with that. Still though, it would require a mold of my head in a substance that could be burned away by the molten aluminum. Maybe next year.

I found a full mask of Destro for sell on eBay and have seen other people with them. This could work, until I saw the price. $250. For just the mask. Nope. Going to have to make one myself. Somehow.

Now when I was making the papercraft guns, I learned a lot about how to mold with paper and use fiberglass resin to "freeze" it and basically turn it to plastic. So, that would work. Plastic is hard and can look like metal when painted right. Unfortunately, there are no papercraft patterns for making a full head mask. But I didn't give up.

I did find a way to make a full head mask yourself. I don't want to say where I found this technique, but even gimps can have a good idea from time to time.

To make the mask:
Step 1 - have someone wrap your head in aluminum foil. Foil is a good substance for this. It's flexible, but will hold shape well. This lets features like eyes, nose, ears and mouth to be marked, but doesn't provide a perfect mold.

Step 2 - have the same person that wrapped you head in foil now wrap your foil wrapped head in duct tape. This is the real trick to it. This will basically freeze the foil wrap in place and give the whole mask a little more substance. Note: Be sure the person tears the strips of duct tape BEFORE putting the tape on your head. That tearing sound is loud.


The Straws are so I can breathe.

Step 3 - cut the mask off your head. Either with one cut up the back or a cut up each side. This is where I made a mistake that took me months to find.

Step 4 - take the removed mask and use fiberglass resin on the inside. You'll do the outside too, but later. This coat on the inside is simply for strength. Best to do it early too so the fumes will have time to fade before you have to wear it.

The remaining steps involve creating the features on the front of the mask. Applying the resin to the front. Fixing the back half in my case and then reattaching the two halves. How bad could this be?

No comments:

Post a Comment